Get Free Home Security Cost Estimates
Protecting your family means protecting your home, and the secret to avoiding a burglary is to deflect a burglars determination. With better home security, you will make them look elsewhere for an easier mark. Here are 7 easy steps you can take to improve your home security.
Step 1: Don’t let your home appear unoccupied
There are many small details you can employ to make the residence seem occupied while you are not there:
- Stop newspaper and mail deliveries if you’re going to be away on vacation.
- Turn on a radio or television that is loud enough to hear through your front door.
- Offer your neighbor a parking space in your driveway.
- Put your house lights on a timer.
Step 2: Shore up your perimeter defenses
Thieves don’t want to be seen, so make things hard for them:
- Install outside lighting that will activate with a motion detector.
- Clear away shrubs and other foliage around your home to deny intruders cover.
- Make sure your entrance is well lit.
Step 3: Secure your doors
There are several simple steps you can take to ensure your doors are secure:
- If you have just moved in, change all the door locks and install deadbolt locks.
- Do not place your door key in the mailbox or over the doorway transom. That’s the first place burglars look.
- Wrap your key in aluminum foil and hide it in a secret place only your family knows about.
- Install a peephole in the door.
- Place a metal bar or broom handle in the inside floor track of your sliding doors for extra protection.
Step 4: Don’t forget the windows
Windows are the easiest target for burglars, and they will check them all to find a way in:
- Thieves are counting on you to forget to lock at least one window. So check them all.
- Install heavier than standard window locks.
- Install pins or large nails for windows that slide up and down.
Step 5: Secure your other points of access
There's more than just an unguarded front door or open window to invite burglars into your home:
- Don’t leave your garage door remote in your car.
- Wrap some zip ties around your garage door emergency release mechanism.
- Secure the door that goes from the garage to the house.
- Check skylights, crawl spaces, and attic vents.
- Secure any basement well windows.
Step 6: Keep current records of your valuables
Keeping track of your valuables may help you recover them if they are stolen:
- Jot down the date and place purchased, retail cost, serial number, etc.
- Wherever possible, place some identifying mark on your valuables.
- Install anti-theft software on your home desktop and laptop computers.
Step 7: Install an alarm system and get these benefits
Hearing an alarm go off usually sends a burglar running. Most thieves will try elsewhere rather than having to bother with a sophisticated alarm system. The system immediately informs the police and the homeowner that something is amiss. Having a home security system is one of the best ways you can protect your family and your belongings. Don’t let yourself become a victim, install a home security system and deter burglars before they get any bright ideas.
Request a FREE Estimate
If you would like to find out how much a new home security system will cost, simply fill in the form at the top of this page. By entering your ZIP in the form provided, you will receive a 100% FREE, no-obligation estimate on the cost of a customized home security system.